Reiki is a spiritual practice developed in 1922 by a man named Mikao Usui. Reiki is an alternative name for the Usui Method of Natural Healing. It is a Japanese work of two syllables, which mean:
REI (pronounced “ray”) = Universal Spirit or Essence, and
KI (pronounced “key”) = Life Energy, Light or Chi (as in Tai Chi).
Reiki mean Universal Spirit of Life or Universal Life Energy. The flow of Life Energy through us is what keeps us alive. However with stress and tension in daily life, this flow of energy can be uneven and unbalanced. This can combine to create blocks that can manifest as malfunctions or disease.
Reiki is a technique used for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing, and is administered by “laying on hands” and is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. It has been effective in helping virtually every known illness and malady and always creates a beneficial effect. It also works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve side effects and promote recovery.
How does it work?
Reiki accelerates the body’s ability to heal physical and mental ailments and assists you to correct imbalances of mind and spirit, which leads to disease. Reiki opens you to the pleasure of taking responsibility for your own life and to receive the joy of relaxed and balanced wellness.
When been treated with Reiki, it is done by laying of the hands on various parts of the body (clothed). You will soon feel a flowing sensations, often combined with a sensation of warmth. The placing of hands upon your body, is to link you with the energy of Reiki and will involve mind, body and spirit.
When treated with Reiki, you are brought back into a state of unity with harmony of the universe and state of wholeness.
Points of Healing
- Reiki supports the bodies natural ability to heal itself
- Reiki vitalises both body and soul
- Reiki re-estabilishes spiritual equilibrium and mental well being
- Reiki functions on all levels, mental, spiritual, physical and emotional
- Reiki balances the bodies energies
- Reiki loosens up blocked energy and promotes a state of total relaxation
- Reiki cleanses the bodies posions
- Reiki adjusts itself accordingly to the needs of the recipient
- Reiki can be used on animals and plants
- Reiki is an extremely pleasant holistic method of healing
- Reiki can never do damage in any way, since it only flows from love and in the quanities necessary for the recipient.
The FIVE Reiki Principles
- Just for today, do not worry.
- Just for today, do not anger.
- Earn your living honestly.
- Honour your parents, teachers and elders.
- Show gratitude to every living thing.
There are five master symbols in Reiki, and some sources say there were once 300 and 22 in common use. The remaining symbols still exist in Tibet in a few libraries in remote monasteries. I was taught a further eleven symbols to use in everyday life.
Reiki is best taught one on one with a Master. However due to all of us living busy lives or living in remote places, this is not always possible. For those wanting to learn more about Reiki and its principles and the power of the symbols for healing, I am putting together an Ebook with everything you need to know. Watch this space!